Board Member vacancy Stiftelsen Amref Nordic
Amref Nordic is looking for a new, Norwegian Member of its Foundation Board, who would like to contribute to our mission to create lasting health change in Africa.
The current board has an international composition, with experienced NGO leaders from Kenya, Sweden, the Netherlands and Italy. We are now specifically looking for a Norwegian Board Member, as we aspire to expand our presence in the Norwegian market. He/she will bring the Norwegian context and perspective to the Board, and an understanding of culture and frameworks within which Amref can operate.
Amref Nordic/Amref Flying Doctors is the Scandinavian office of Amref Health Africa. At the moment, we are having more than 30.000 donors in Sweden and Norway that are supporting Amref’s important work.
Amref Health Africa, which is headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, is the largest Africa-based healthcare international Non-Governmental Organisation. Our long term objective is to create lasting health change in Africa.
We are currently running programs in 35 countries in Africa with more than 60 years of experience and engagement with governments, communities and partners to increase sustainable health access in Africa. We are also having offices in Europe and North America as well as subsidiaries in Kenya; Amref Flying Doctors enterprise, Amref Health Innovations and the Amref International University.
The Board is supporting the work of Amref Nordic and provides mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by Amref Nordic’s chief executive officer (CEO), the Board-CEO relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected. Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
Leadership and governance
- Serving as a trusted advisor to the CEO as s/he develops and implements Amref Nordic’s strategic plan
- Reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board meetings
- Approving Amref Nordic’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Contributing to an annual performance evaluation of the CEO
- Assisting the CEO and board chair in identifying and recruiting other Board Members
- Partnering with the CEO and other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
- Serving on committees or task forces and taking on special assignments
- Representing Amref Nordic to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization
Amref Nordic’s Board Members will serve a three-year term to be eligible for re-appointment. Board meetings will be held quarterly.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for a Norwegian individual who is passionate about Amref Nordic’s mission and who has a track record of (board) leadership.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Extensive professional experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the non-profit sector
- A commitment to and understanding of Amref Nordic’s beneficiaries, preferably based on experience
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of Amref Nordic’s beneficiaries
- Fluent in both English and Norwegian
This Board Member position is not being remunerated, but travel and accommodation costs in relation to Board Members’ duties will be covered.
Please submit your application to email@example.com. Interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis.